How the Organization Got Started
The first cemetery in Greensburg was established in 1823 south of the Penn Central right of way and east of highway 421. When the railroad came through in 1853, the bodies in Greensburg Cemetery were moved to two cemeteries: Methodist Cemetery, formed in the 1840’s (west of Vine Street), and Decatur County Cemetery, established in 1850 on the west side of the present South Park Cemetery.
In 1884, the newly established South Park Cemetery Association took over Decatur County Cemetery and enlarged the grounds. A few years later Methodist Cemetery became part of South Park. South Park has been enlarged several times since 1894.
South Park Cemetery Board of Directors
David Miers, President
Roland Shirk, Vice President
Susan Rust, Treasurer
Terri Pleak, Secretary
Thelma Corya, Honoray Member
South Park Cemetery is non profit and maintained largely by endowments, donations, lot, niche sales and burials.